Just like the President says, change is still coming… to this here blog. I’m just waiting on some friends (we’ll call them Congress) to get a few things done. In the meantime, try this quick and easy to make dinner that’s guaranteed to warm you up this winter.
Gnocchi with Squash and Kale
Prep: 30min; Total: 35 min; Serves: 4
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 TBSP roughly chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 17.5oz (or close) package potato gnocchi
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- Melt 1 TBSP butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and cook, stirring, until slightly soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, red pepper flakes and 1 tsp salt; cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes. (NOTE: if you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, be sure to use aluminum foil to cover an plastic pieces and adjust your broiler rack accordingly to avoid meltage!)
- Preheat the broiler (if you have an option choose high). Add the water to the skillet. When it starts to simmer, stir in the kale and cook until it wilts slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the gnocchi, stirring to coat. Cover and cook until the gnocchi are just tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the 1/2 cup parmesan and the remaining 1 TBSP butter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan; transfer to the broiler and cook until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
And since Miss Fancy Boots and I are sticking to our eating healthy and exercising resolutions, but seriously we are doing a fantastic job– here are the nutrition facts.
- Calories 438
- Fat 23g (Saturated 14g)
- Cholesterol 76mg
- Sodium 989mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 16g